[Cialug] Backup Solutions

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Sun Apr 20 17:00:56 CDT 2008

That should work fine.

I recommend researching using rsync with linking, and using larger
drives than you're backing up.  That way you can have revisions and
rotate the drives on a weekly or monthly cycle.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> Arne Quanbeck <spam at arnequanbeck.com> 04/20/08 3:51 PM >>>
Greetings!

I am setting up a Linux server and looking at backup solutions. I
would like to have offsite backups with two hard drives. One drive
would be on site in the server, the other would be off site, swapped
on a scheduled basis. The simplest solution would seem to be SATA
drives in a swappable drive bay. With this solution, the user would
not have to work with cables, just swap the drive.

Has anyone used one of these with Linux recently, and how well did it
work?

If this is not a good option, what would work well? USB/FireWire?

Thanks
Arne Quanbeck