[Cialug] Dying commputer question

murraymckee at wellsfargo.com murraymckee at wellsfargo.com
Mon Apr 7 14:50:53 CDT 2008

 * When the motherboard and power supply were replaced, did they re-use
the old CPU and RAM?  Have you run a RAM test?  memtest86 is a boot
option on most live Linux distro disks these days.

I have a new CPU and I believe the ram is new to, but I don't remember
off the top of my head.  I'll try the memtest86 when I get home tonight.

* I'm assuming they re-used the same hard disk.  Have you run
something like SpinRite on that system?  It isn't free, but it is
worth the $89 to have a copy on hand if you work with questionable
hard drives from time to time.

The hard drive is the same original hard drive.  I have not run any test
on it.  I don't know if they did when they rebuilt the computer or not.
I'll see if I can pick up a copy of spinrite on the way home.

Thanks for the advice.

Murray McKee
Operating Systems Engineer
WFFIS - Wells Fargo Financial Information Systems
800 Walnut Street
MAC F4030-037
Des Moines, IA 50309-3605
WORK (515)557-6127 Cell (515) 890-9660  FAX (515) 557-6046
MurrayMcKee at WellsFargo.com
"This message may contain confidential and / or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on
this message or any information herein.  If you have received this
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation."