[Cialug] Buying a new pc

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sun Sep 30 21:03:53 CDT 2007

On 9/30/07, jason at benalto.com <jason at benalto.com> wrote:
> 4) Nvdia are still the Linux friendly graphics people, right?

Word at my office is that Intel is the most Linux friendly graphics
option. They not only provide a driver, they actually work with the
open source community. With nVidia, yes, it will work, and work very
well, but you often need to install it separately after the OS by
downloading a binary driver from their website. Every time you update
the kernel, you'll have to re-install the driver.

If I wanted maximum 3d perf I'd probably get the nVidia, but if I
wanted a balance of good 3d perf and ease of use I'd do Intel.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode