[Cialug] Buying a new PC

Jason Warden jason at benalto.com
Sun Sep 30 14:22:54 CDT 2007

Hello Cialug!
I have a question. I'm buying a PC for the first time in a few years after
using primarily Macs. This PC will have to have Windows on it as well as
Linux as my wife takes online classes at DMACC. I've just spent a few hours
browsing at tigerdirect.com and it's quite the different world out there,
isn't it?? I have a few questions (Linux and Windowz related), if anyone
wants to take the time to answer:
1) This new SATA transport for drives - Linux doesn't have a problem with
this, does it? Anything I should know?
2) One desktop I really liked on tigerdirect is actually a 64 bit. I know
Linux has had 64 bit support for years, but I've heard iffy things about
using XP with 64 bit systems (and I don't trust Vista yet) Would it be
possible to put a 32 bit XP and a 64 bit *nix on the same computer? Are
those 64 bits backwards compatible to the OS level?? I don't think this is
possible because I think the RAM you buy commits you to your bitrate; is
that correct?
3) In the past (I was a hardcore Linux user from about '97 to '03) I've
always preferred the easy-on-the-user stuff like SuSE and Mandrake/Mandriva.
My biggest issues have been with the crazy package management systems
(apt-get on SusE 9 worked pretty well but then 'broke'...) What is the
easiest distribution in terms of package management going these days? I know
this question may start a flamewar, sorry.
4) Nvdia are still the Linux friendly graphics people, right?

Thanks

Jason