[Cialug] Virtualization Performance

Jonathan C. Bailey jbailey at co.marshall.ia.us
Thu Sep 27 08:57:25 CDT 2007

I missed the virtualization meeting (I was in Philly at a conference), so cut me some slack.. :-)

Between VMWare Server (the free one) and Xen, what is the performance difference for I/O intensive guests? We have a few of the "free" VMWare servers running various Windows VMs and see some network performance issues on occasion. I'd love to switch to Xen (more OS friendly, I believe), but am wondering how much of a performance boost I might see. We're running these VM servers on current HW (Athlon X2 5200+, 4GB RAM, SATA2 RAID, Intel PRO/1000 PCIe NIC).

-Jon