[Cialug] Interesting virtualization article.

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Sep 24 21:59:14 CDT 2007

On 9/24/07, Jeff Davis <jdavis at geolearning.com> wrote:
> As a financial services company, I would expect that
> anything related to an active market could cost them money
> if someone else bought or sold in those milliseconds before you.

Or if the transaction normally takes milliseconds to complete and the
latency caused by virtualization doubled the time to complete a task
you'd be effectively halving your capacity.

I've never measured the performance hit on networking with virtualized
services, but I suspect there could be an impact there.

> Todd Walton wrote:
> > On 9/24/07, Dave Crouse <crouse at usalug.net> wrote:
> >> Credit Suisse plans virtualization a massive scale
> >
> >>From the article:
> >
> > "Other sets of servers just didn't make sense for virtualization,
> > Hilton says, including [...] servers whose transactional applications
> > had very tight processing windows, where the overhead of
> > virtualization added milliseconds that would cause timing problems."
> >
> > I wonder what those servers are doing.
> >
> > -todd

Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode