[Cialug] OT: Rock-Solid Workstation

Bryan Baker ka_klick at mac.com
Mon Sep 24 09:56:58 CDT 2007

Well, the conversation had tended to be about the vagaries of x-
platform LAMP development, which usually doesn't involve much custom
hardware, but it's a good point to consider when checking this stuff
out. Looking a bit closer at the sites (hadn't been paying that much
attention to this product space since I'm still on PPC (G4/G5) mac
hardware), it's looking to like the VMWare Fusion product is really
nice. Here's a blurb about hardware:

Access platform-specific devices:
VMware Fusion lets you get the most out of your Mac hardware—from the
SuperDrive to iSight cameras—in any virtual machine. You also get
complete support for proprietary video cameras, GPS, Bluetooth, and
other USB 2.0 devices that only work in Windows.

and one about OS's:

Freedom to choose over 60 operating systems
Only VMware Fusion gives you the most complete support for Microsoft
Windows Vista Business, Enterprise, Ultimate, Windows XP, Linux,
Solaris, or any of the more than sixty supported PC operating
systems. Share files between virtual machines and your Mac with drag
and drop, copy and paste text, and resize virtual machine desktops
with ease.

here's a better (ungoogleafied) link:

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html