[Cialug] Slightly OT: Server Room Temperature

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Fri Sep 14 12:38:12 CDT 2007

I'm a Fahrenheit boy

I've always understood that if you are comfortable, the equipment will be
comfortable - assuming adequate airflow through the equipment.
I like it about 70-75 so I assume a few degrees less to account for airflow
through equipment is OK for the server room.

If the ambient temp in the room is 90+ then the temp inside the boxes has to
be way too hot.  At least 10 or more additional degrees.  Probably more like
20 more.

My room is about 20X30 no windows, 1 entry door, drop ceiling - air and
humidity conditioned.  The ambient air is about 70 (45% humidity) but the
tops of the racks might be 81 and the temp near the door might be 75.

I guess what I am saying is that good air flow is important in a small room,
and the machine temps will always be higher than the ambient temp.  So if
you are uncomfortable in the room, the machines are probably at risk.

In my opinion, consistency is also important.  Maintaining a range without
huge differences in the high and low.

Servers also like the dark - just kidding.

-Nate