[Cialug] OT: DVD drive problem

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Tue Sep 11 10:59:16 CDT 2007

Tim Wilson wrote:
> On 9/11/07, Justin Richeson <jrnosee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Someone can tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read/heard/whatever
>> something once upon a time that disks on the same drive chain either
>> operated on DMA OR PIO but both drives on the chain had to do the same mode.
>

> I heard something similar to that too, but I think it is only if the two
> devices are active at the same time, i.e., copying a file between 2 hard
> drives, or from a CD to a hard drive, etc.

I believe it is on a per-channel deal... so if you have 2 drives on one
cable, the will both be in the same mode. I suppose in theory they could
switch between DMA and PIO mode depending on which was being accessed,
but that sounds like trouble.

I have heard that you should not put your HD and CD on the same IDE
channel, because the HD will be slowed down.

-dc