[Cialug] OT: DVD drive problem

Justin Richeson jrnosee at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 10:09:48 CDT 2007

Someone can tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read/heard/whatever
something once upon a time that disks on the same drive chain either
operated on DMA OR PIO but both drives on the chain had to do the same
mode.  If this is the case and your HD and DVD are on the same chain
(assuming the manufacturer was stupid enough to do this and you're still
using PATA drives in the laptop) the DVD operating in PIO could be slowing
down your system, otherwise I wouldn't think a slow DVD would be causing the
entire system to run sluggishly.