[Cialug] Bruce Perens (spokesperson & one of leaders of Free Software and Linux) - tomorrow

Matt Vincent mattcvincent at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 16:06:21 CDT 2007

I think Dave Weis sent out an e-mail a few weeks ago about Bruce Perens
talking at the Java Users Group tomorrow.  I just wanted to send out a
reminder that this is tomorrow night (6pm) at the DMACC West campus
auditorium.  Bruce and another speaker from Sun are going to be calling in
from California and we have the room wired for Q&A with the speakers, etc.
Even if you can only make it out there from 7-8, we'd like to have you
there... but if you showed up late, you'd miss the free pizza :)

If you want to attend, just shoot an e-mail to mail at sourceallies.com and
we'll up the pizza count.

Please find some details below:

Thanks - Matt

As you know, we have some remarkable guests for tomorrow's JUG meeting!  The
theme of the meeting
is Open Source and we have two very reputable experts on the topic:  Bruce
Perens and Tom Marble.

Please RSVP by noon tomorrow (the 11th) with a pizza preference so our
meeting sponsor, Paragon IT
Professionals, can order enough pizza & pop for us.  RSVP to:
mail at sourceallies.com

Here's the event run down:

Place:  DMACC West main auditorium (http://www.dmacc.edu/west/map.asp)
Time: September 11th, 2007 - please arrive 15-20 minutes early for pizza

6:00-6:10 PM:  Introduce CIJUG pizza sponsor and review guest Bios

6:10-7:00 PM:  Tom Marble (Sun's OpenJDK ambassador) Presentation
 * Tom's talk may include background on Sun's OSS business strategy,
decision to open the Solaris code base and the Java code base, and the
business impact from doing so
 * Tom prefers fewer slides and more Q&A so have your questions ready
 * http://java.sun.com/developer/Meet-Eng/marble/
 * http://blogs.sun.com/tmarble/

7:00-7:30 PM:  Bruce Perens (Primary Author: * The Open Source
Definition<http://perens.com/Articles/OSD.html>
,* spokesperson & one of leaders of Free Software and Linux) Presentation
 * Bruce will provide a broader perspective on Open Source & Free Software
and a Q & A session with the Java Users Group and Linux Users Group members
who are also invited to this meeting
 * http://perens.com/
 * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Perens

7:30 Break - Since this meeting will run longer than normal, this will allow
people with prior commitments to leave the auditorium

7:31-8:00 PM:  Bruce Perens will finish his presentation and open up to
audience questions

Please remember to RSVP to mail at sourceallies.com and we'll see you there!

See www.cijug.net for more event details
Also mark your calendar for Des Moines' first BarCamp Event on Sept. 22nd! -
http://barcampdesmoines.pbwiki.com/FrontPage