[Cialug] Iowa Ruby Brigade

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Fri Sep 7 11:36:51 CDT 2007

carl-olsen at mchsi.com wrote:
> Can I install Ruby on any kind of operating system and will it
> interfere with anything I currently have running?

Ruby itself is a programming language. Ruby on Rails is a web framework.
  I don't think installing either would interfere. Ruby comes with its
own small webserver called WEBrick for development and testing so you
aren't required to make any changes to Apache.

> In other words, how much work do I have to do to start playing with
> it?

You can use this browser based Ruby interactive shell to play around
with Ruby: http://tryruby.hobix.com/

As far as web programming goes ruby has a CGI module and ERB templates
but all the "cool kids" are using Ruby on Rails.

Eric