[Cialug] PerlRE

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 09:27:10 CDT 2007

Can someone refresh my memory?  I have a file with many lines of text.
 One (or two) of those lines has an expression in it, "We go to the ",
followed by another one word.  I want to use perl to find that
expression and print "We go to the park" or "We go to the game" or
whatever it is.  How do I do that?

So far I know that -e will run a perl command from the shell command
line.  And I saw a -Fpattern in man perl, but I couldn't find anything
else on command-line options in man perl.  I did find a page about it
on perl.com and then at the end of that article it said to see 'man
perlrun'.  So I'm all over that.

But how do I yank and return just "We go to the " out of it?

-todd