[Cialug] Installing eGroupWare

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 07:37:54 CDT 2007

I'm trying to set up eGroupWare on my computer.  This is my first big
project since switching from Gentoo to Ubuntu, so I thought this would
be an interesting test of the Ubuntu community's documentation and the
ease of use of apt-get.

I found a document here:
http://www.debianadmin.com/egroupware-installation-and-configuration-with-screenshots.html

but it's dealing with Debian, and not actually Ubuntu.  That shouldn't
matter.  And then I "sudo apt-get install egroupware".  It asked me
for a few bits of configuration information, like which webserver am I
using.  Which webserver?  I don't know, didn't apt-get just install
one for me?  No?  So, question in the back of my mind: Would Gentoo
have noticed that I don't have a webserver already installed and then
install it for me?  I would've expected it to.  I always had the
"apache2" USE flag set.

But honestly, I'm not so much interested in the comparison as I am in
getting eGroupWare to work.  So I go to the document above.  I had
loaded it but not read it.  Per that document I installed
mysql-client, mysql-server, and postfix.  Can you tell I don't know
what I'm doing?

Still working on it...

-todd