[Cialug] Slightly OT: AMD-V enabled laptops

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Wed Oct 31 17:54:06 CDT 2007

I'll probably be getting a new laptop soon, and I figured if I could get one
that could do virtualization, that would be a plus.  I know Intel has a web
page set up that identifies which processors have their VT technology.  But
I can't find a similar page for AMD.  Wikipedia says "AMD-V is present in
all K8 AMD (Athlon 64) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlon_64> processors
from stepping "F" and all newer processors support AMD-V technology."  Most
AMD based laptops come with the Turion processor.  Since I couldn't find
anything on AMD's website regarding AMD-V and the Turion, I turned to
Newegg.  Newegg lists "Virtualization Technology Support" as a no for the
Turion.

--
Tim