[Cialug] Disable postfix bounce messages?

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Wed Oct 31 10:43:10 CDT 2007

Dave Weis wrote:
> Matthew Nuzum wrote:
>> On 10/31/07, Jeff Davis <jdavis at geolearning.com> wrote:
>>> If you use relay_recipient_maps at the relay, you just don't accept mail
>>> for users that don't exist thereby avoiding having to handle bounced
>>> messages
>>> for misaddressed mail.
>>>
>>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relay_recipient_maps
>>
>> It just so happens I was working out a solution to this last night.
>>
>> In main.cf I have:
>> relay_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_recipients
>> hash:/etc/postfix/another_list hash:/etc/postfix/yet_another_list
>
> I pointed relay_recipient_maps at my virtual file and it seems to be
> doing what I want it to do now. I think something isn't quite right yet
> because it takes a couple seconds to get the SMTP banner but it might be
> load related.

Correction, it's not doing what I want. I can telnet to the SMTP port
and give it a bogus address and it still accepts it for delivery.

The non-default things in main.cf are
virtual_mailbox_domains = /etc/postfix/domains

smtpd_helo_required = yes
disable_vrfy_command = yes

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
         reject_invalid_hostname,