[Cialug] Job Opening - Linux/Windows Admin

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Mon Oct 29 13:09:13 CDT 2007

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Todd Walton wrote:
> On 10/29/07, Josh More <morej at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
>> The ideal candidate will come in and own their small data center.
>
> Anyone else here feel like they work better when they're given total
> responsiblity for something?

Absolutely, I don't have other people in mucking things up and can be more
holistic in what I implement. The downside is that you are the only one
that gets the finger pointed at them when something does break. If you do
it correctly there's much less finger pointing.

Imagine the moving pieces in a normal office. Say they are having problems
with calls getting dropped on their phone system. The circuit to the
building is provided by Qwest, they may have McLeod for the phone service
on the circuit, the riser cable in the building is owned by the property
manager, the electrician put the cable in for the system, the phone system
is provided by us, their onsite computer guy manages the switches, and
for fun there's a couple remote IP phones in Outer Mongolia on a 9600
baud satellite connection. Just getting ahold of any of those people
for testing or questions is a pain.

I definitely prefer having control of the solution from end to end, it
makes my customers (and me) much happier.

dave

--
Dave Weis
djweis at internetsolver.com