[Cialug] OT?: DBMs

Stuart Thiessen sthiessen at passitonservices.org
Mon Oct 29 12:59:28 CDT 2007

Well, one issue here is that I am dealing with a client who has staff
all over the world and they need to have access to organized data that
includes video clips, images, and text. In some locations, they have
good internet access and in others, they have very poor internet
access if at all. Most of the data they need to see will be read-only.
For those who have good internet access, they can probably access most
of the information through the internet. Text and images could likely
be shared over the internet with little difficulty either way. But
there is alot of video data that they will want to view. So I approach
I am considering is that the video data is distributed via DVD and
physically located on each site in a specified location, but the
database will contain the data they need to search the video and image
data they have. They will also create new video and image data and the
search data will need to be added to the database also. This is
probably on the order of 1 video clip per week or so. Once the
metadata is created, it is unlikely it will be changed. Data added
will be unique to their specific sites.

An additional wrinkle is that they will not have any IT staff at any
of the locations and they will not have the technical literacy to read
the manual or google for help when they have questions. It is not
realistic for them. If the contract work continues, my friend and I
will be the only IT staff they will have to maintain and keep the
database working. I wanted something that would be relatively easy to
install and just use with a minimum amount of installation,
maintenance, tweaking, etc. Ideally, it could be something that they
can just install themselves without needing our presence there. The
client does not have the resources to send us flying to each location
to fix problems or tweak settings.

Clients will be a mix of Mac and Windows clients except for the server
we set up to manage the metadata. It will be Linux. Each site will
push their metadata to the server, and the server will push updates
from all the sites back to each individual site.

Right now, I am trying to envision the best infrastructure so that it
will meet their needs and not result in long-term frustration. The
simplicity of DBMs was what made me interested in them. But if you
have a better suggestion, that's why I am asking. :) I am concerned
though that MySQL or PostgreSQL will add a layer of complexity that I
will want to avoid?

Thanks,

Stuart