[Cialug] OT?: DBMs

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Mon Oct 29 11:55:38 CDT 2007

Probably worth also looking at SQLite.

--Tony

----- Original Message ----
From: Stuart Thiessen <sthiessen at passitonservices.org>
To: Central Iowa Linux Users Group <cialug at cialug.org>
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 11:16:55 AM
Subject: Re: [Cialug] OT?: DBMs

I am curious why?  It was my understanding that if you have equal
parts of reading and writing, then SQL databases were more recommended
because the speed of handling transactions both ways and handling
multiple writes from multiple sources. On the other hand, if you were
dealing with more reading and only occasional writing (usually from a
managed source) then a DBM or XML approach were better because the
"increased complexity" of SQL didn't provide additional benefits over
DBM or XML. The ability of DBM and XML to store the data like your
application views it provided a better benefit in terms of speed and
processing than add the necessary processing to convert your data
between the application's processing of it and the relational database
structure. At least that was what my reading so far has indicated.

Thanks,

Stuart