[Cialug] OT?: DBMs

Stuart Thiessen sthiessen at passitonservices.org
Mon Oct 29 10:46:17 CDT 2007

I'm working on a project and it seemed that using a DBM would be the
best choice for this project. I'm still learning about this. I'm
wondering how a person can determine the version of the DBM (whether
Berkeley, GDBM, NDBM, etc.) that one has installed on a computer. I
did try to google for it, but I couldn't find something that seemed
clear to me. Most of the time, I run the command line program with a -
V or --version or something to find out version numbers. With this,
I'm understanding that it is really a library of functions used in C,
and C and various languages simply hook into that library to run those
functions. If that is the case, then how does one determine the
version number for that library?

Also, I am curious if any of you have preferences about which DBM to
use? This particular application will be read-mostly and write-
occassionally, which as I understand is the strength of a DBM? Which
one would you recommend if I am using both python and PHP to connect
to that DBM and access the data? Currently, I plan to use python to
handle a standalone application access and PHP to provide a web-based
access.

Thanks,

Stuart Thiessen