[Cialug] wireless communities in Iowa?

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Sat Oct 13 22:03:10 CDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 10:16 -0500, Dave J. Hala Jr. wrote:
> I think the issue isn't about the ICN connectivity.   Qwest may not want
> a competitor, and the ICN and school folks don't want any more work.

Uhm... I'd bet that it's more than just Qwest that don't want the ICN as
a competitor.  I'd bet that there are more than a couple people that are
members of CIALUG that don't want a government-owned telco/ISP as a
competitor.

> I'm wondering if you have the mesh network running and privately funded
> if you could then create some of "conduit" from the mesh network to the
> ICN for the purpose of allowing the kids access. If you have a large of
> customer be of households with school children, you could leverage them
> to push for access. Its not an unreasonable request.

Actually, I know that the ICN has private peering with netINS and
Mediacom.  They may peer with other ISPs in Iowa as well, but that's
just a guess.

Jeff