[Cialug] wireless communities in Iowa?

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Sat Oct 13 10:16:19 CDT 2007

I think the issue isn't about the ICN connectivity.   Qwest may not want
a competitor, and the ICN and school folks don't want any more work.
Sounds like Qwest is using the bureaucracy to kill the project.

Since getting access to the school stuff on the ICN via a broadband
connection is the "killer app" that is driving this project, maybe you
could change the focus of your approach. Down play the 21st century
initiatives.

Maybe you could focus on a privately funded mesh network with a low
entry cost. From a business perspective having CPE cost of only $50,
thats "customer funded" is awesome. If you could push just broadband at
a low cost, then say oh btw, in the future the broadband network is the
first step toward achieving this goal...

I'm wondering if you have the mesh network running and privately funded
if you could then create some of "conduit" from the mesh network to the
ICN for the purpose of allowing the kids access. If you have a large of
customer be of households with school children, you could leverage them
to push for access. Its not an unreasonable request.

If the infrastructure is already in place, now your argument becomes
about access and not "building infrastructure".  You've eliminated qwest
and the city from your negotiations and now your working directly ICN.

Anyway, just a couple of loose thoughts...

:) Dave