[Cialug] wireless communities in Iowa?

Tom Pohl tom at tcpconsulting.com
Sat Oct 13 09:44:45 CDT 2007

On Oct 13, 2007, at 8:27 AM, Tom Poe wrote:
> Todd:  I'd like to agree with you, that noone, especially our city
> leaders in Charles City, wants a second-rate education for our
> children.  So, I reread the letter from the city mayor's office
> stating the city's position on citizen initiatives for a "last mile
> solution" for our kids.  Unfortunately, that is their position.  I
> also reviewed email exchanges with the city leaders and Joseph
> Cassis, deputy director of the ICN.  Unfortunately, noone
> demonstrates an interest in exploring options for an affordable
> "last mile solution" for our kids, let alone affordable options
> that might be applied across all of Iowa's rural communities.
>
> I want to personally thank you for your offer to contribute to a
> legal defense fund, in the event the encumbents sue.  I contacted a
> lawyer several months ago, and received confirmation that he'll
> handle the fund when such action becomes appropriate.  We agreed
> that any legal action should not have to occur, if we continue to
> act reasonably and slowly. Tom

I thought it was a matter of Iowa law that states who and how people
can access the ICN's resources.  If you were to provide community
access using an ICN connection to the general community, I think
you'd be breaking state law and the ICN would probably risk losing
their common carrier status, but I don't really know anything :)

This link provides at least an interesting read:
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?
court=DC&navby=case&no=991149A

-Tom