[Cialug] wireless communities in Iowa?

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Fri Oct 12 15:03:53 CDT 2007

Dave J. Hala Jr. wrote:
> Uhhh... how is that Qwest can say that? Is qwest saying no open access
> points hooked up to their DSL?
>
> On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 14:16 -0500, Tom Poe wrote:
>
>> Well, I've pretty much made up my mind.  It's time to move on.  Had a
>> city official tell me in writing, they will not support community
>> wireless initiatives, unless there are franchise fees involved.  I was
>> also told by a city official that Qwest will not permit Meraki units to
>> be used for shared Internet access from one house to another in Charles
>> City.  That means our mayor has committed to providing a second-rate
>> education to our kids while on his watch, because he objects to
>> affordable "last mile solutions" for our kids.
>>
>> So, anyone know a community that has "unwired" in Iowa?
>> Tom Poe, Charles City, Iowa

Technically, the issue was a "last mile solution" for our kids.  Using
Meraki units in each home, it becomes a simple $50 per house (one time
fee) and a shared monthly Internet access payment of approximately $3
per house per month.  This enables every kid to access the ICN school
network and get a 21st century education.  The mayor and Qwest
(apprarently) have decided that our kids will get second-rate education,
period.  No community inititatives to provide affordable "last mile
solution" allowed, especially if it undermines the bottom line.
Tom