[Cialug] SUSE 9.3

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Oct 12 13:27:38 CDT 2007

On 10/12/07, carl-olsen at mchsi.com <carl-olsen at mchsi.com> wrote:

> I did an update from SUSE 10.2 to SUSE 10.3 last night.  Last week, I did
> the update from SUSE 10.1 to SUSE 10.2.  This seems to be fairly easy.
>
> I'm wondering if I can do an update from SUSE 9.3 to SUSE 10.3 and have it
> work just as easy.
>
> Does anyone know if I can update directly to SUSE 10.3 from SUSE 9.3without doing each version update one at a time?

I've done version updates in Ubuntu (apt) and RedHat/Fedora (yum) and in all
cases the suggested method was to upgrade through each version without
skipping. The reason is simply that there is a finite amount of resources
and the upgrade process from version to version is easy to test and account
for, but the time needed grows dramatically for testing all of the possible
variations.

There may be exceptions, for example, there will be an LTS to LTS upgrade
for Ubuntu, but these exceptions, if any currently exist, will be well
announced. (wow, three parenthetical statements in one sentence! (not
counting this one))

I realize that this can be very trying when there's an unsupported version
between your current version and the one you wish to upgrade to (like, for
example, needing to go from FC3 -> current). I'm not sure what to do in that
case.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode