[Cialug] Local Red Hat training

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Oct 11 14:53:05 CDT 2007

The 70% doesn't include those who go through the book, I think.

For example, when I took my test (in Chicago), there were two others
there.  Both of them had failed their test twice, it was my first time.
Neither of them had read the book.

All time combined, I took about 45 minutes to take the test.  They took
all the time available.  I passed with ease, and they were obviously
sweating.

To my mind, the 70% failure rate really means that 80% of those who
take the test do it without serious preparation.  10% of those who take
the test get lucky.  The 20% who prepare do just fine.

Honestly, it's not a hard test -- especially if you've been working
with Linux for a decent amount of time.

I'd be interested in hearing about your experience once you take it.
I've not yet upped to RHEL5 and I know that I should.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Matt Millard" <gocyclones at eml.cc> 10/11/07 2:37 PM >>>
Yes I've been going through the book for a couple of months so I'm
pretty sure I'm ready.  The "70%" failure rate for the first time test
takers has me a little worried though.

Matt

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 11:03:57 -0500, "Josh More"
<morej at alliancetechnologies.net> said:
> Matt,
>
> It's a little late for my RHCE advice.  I trust that you've reviewed
> Jang's book as prep.
>
> For the actual test, bear in mind that each section had numerous
> scoring components, and that in completing one, you may lose points
on
> another.  Be sure to doublecheck your work.
>
> Good luck.
>

> -Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC morej at alliancetechnologies.net
> 515-245-7701

> Just thought I'd shoot a note out that Spindustry Training in Des
> Moines is hosting some Red Hat training this week.  I think it was
> RH133 with the RHCT test on Friday.  I've sent them a note asking
for
> some 400 level courses if possible.  The training is from RH and
they
> are only renting the room from Spindustry.  I'm hoping to get some
of
> my team members to finally get some RH training and having it
locally
> will really help out.
>
> https://www.redhat.com/training/offices.html#DesMoines
>
> I'm taking my RHCE next week in Minneapolis. Wish me luck and any
> advice would be appreciated.
>
> Matt
> ---
>   Matt Millard gocyclones at eml.cc http://photos.millardfam.com