[Cialug] DeviceVM Splashtop

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Oct 9 14:31:47 CDT 2007

As I understand the concept, when you have Linux on the hard drive, the
boot sequence is like (yes, I'm leaving a lot out):

1) Power on
2) Boot bios
3) Determine boot device
4) Read boot device
5) Load boot kernel into RAM
6) Load all important drivers
7) Start booting actual system.

If you have a Linux bios, you should be able to:

1) Power on
2) Boot bios
3) Load all important drivers
4) Start booting actual system.

In the end, it's an attempt to get a system that can be turned off and
on with immediate response.  There are some interesting attempts to join
this with software suspend and get on/off devices that do not lose
state.  That's necessary to get computing to the point where it's as
easy to use as a hammer.  The difference being that when people hit
their thumbs with a hammer, they don't automatically blame the hammer's
OS.  ;)

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

On 10/9/07, Thomas Kula <kula at tproa.net> wrote:
> Hey, almost at only five times the speed of my Commodore 64....

So what's the difference between Linux on my hard drive and Linux on
my bios's flash chip that causes it to boot in only 5 seconds?

Is it just a matter of disabling start-up applications?

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode