[Cialug] SCO's not dead yet

Bryan Baker ka_klick at mac.com
Tue Oct 9 08:57:02 CDT 2007

Lot's of good stuff there Josh.

A couple additional data points that I believe make the scenario
unlikely:

1. the UNIX™ trademark is owned by The Open Group - has been since
AT&T got out iirc.
2. The last rulings in Novell look pretty conclusive that SCOX itself
owns little.
3. The bankruptcy is pretty clearly to stop the Novell trial from
gutting their coffers.

On Oct 8, 2007, at 4:22 PM, Josh More wrote:
> [...]
> touting SCO's reliability for years.  Honestly, it *is* a rock
> solid and
> stable system.  In fact, it's one that can run for years without
> updates
> or maintenance.  (Hmm, wonder where all that projected maintenance
> revenue went.)  If someone wanted to purchase SCO to make it easier to
> move to Linux, it would be much cheaper to just stop updates and
> move to
> Linux.  You could put a deep-inspection firewall in front of each SCO
> server or move the servers to virtual environments and keep the legacy
> systems running indefinitely.  A SCO purchase would not make sense for
> that.
>
> Similarly, a SCO purchase would not make sense for someone wanting to
> take over SCO's intellectual property.  The property with intrinsic
> value is in dispute (IBM and Novell) and the rest of it is, at best, a
> third tier player.  In fact, I only see two value propositions:
>
> 1) IBM might be interested in buying SCO simply to make the lawsuit go
> away.  I see this as unlikely, as I believe that IBM is very likely to
> win the suit, and having legal precedence on this issue would be good
> for the industry.  That said, IBM might wind up acquiring all of SCO's
> assets by default if they win and SCO cannot pay.
>
> 2) Someone (Novell, RedHat, Ubuntu) might be interested in buying SCO
> if they can get SCO's contracts with their existing customers.  Any
> one
> of the above companies would love to get *their* Linux into McDonalds
> and some of the other big clients.  Novell would likely have an easier
> time of it, as their stable/secure Linux market story makes a
> conversion
> from SCO pretty easy.  However, it would be a *huge* boost for
> Ubuntu's
> planned server move and if they get a decent conversion rate they
> would
> turn into a big server player practically over night.
>

> -Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
>  morej at alliancetechnologies.net
>  515-245-7701

> Right, So I'd look at it as a way (considering the final cost of
> course) to keep alive and utilize your existing (and expensive) IT
> infrastructure and help increase the odds of a future migration
> path as
> opposed to an all out gut-and-replace down the line.  Buying what was
> left (again cost) even at millions of dollars, may save well over that
> amount in the long run.  Turning that code over, (cost sharing?) to a
> large Linux stakeholder, and getting some agreement to provide an
> upgrade path, would benefit the company financially, and allow for a
> smoother migration, especially if people could write to the existing
> code base.
>
> But, coming down out of la-la land, I realize it would be hard to sell
> it.  But heh, McD dresses up tubers better than anyone else so

>>> c&arti