[Cialug] Google Toys

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 16:29:57 CDT 2007

On 10/8/07, Josh More <morej at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
> I thought that some of you (Nathan) would be interested in this:
> http://www.google.com/experimental/index.html
>
> In particular look at the second from the top.  It gives you a keyboard
> interface into google's search results.  (vim keys).

Neat.  The only downside is that they only let you do one at a time!

Apropos for the adventurous web-browsing vim lover, there is a firefox
extension called Vimperator [1] that lets you keyboard and
command-line your way across the interwebs.

[1] http://vimperator.mozdev.org/

It's pretty sweet if you're hardcore into keyboard-access.  You can
make key combos appear above all links and then hit that combo to go
to that link.  j/k/h/l scrolling, naturally.  There's the colon
command line, and quite a variety of commands available at it.
However, it interacts poorly with things that already use vim keys,
like gmail.  (Manifested as general confusion and occasional
crashing.)  It has an "escape all keys" mode where you theoretically
can act like it's not installed, but it's still a little flaky.
Overall, it's a fun extension, but not yet ready for prime time if you
use gmail.  And alas, I do.

--
Nathan P. Stien
http://linkedin.com/in/nathanstien