[Cialug] Open SUSE 10.2

Jim Asbille jim.asbille at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 09:13:08 CDT 2007

openSuse 10.2 never made the internet connection during installation for
me.  I also had problems with printing, I have an old HP 720c. The update
didn't work well on 10.2 either.

I have now dowloaded 10.3 and they seem to have fixed these problems.  I
tried to download the BitTorrent and after days still only had 49%.  During
that time I downloaded the CD via HTTP and got it no problems.  I have
10.3on my laptop and it is working well.

I then stopped the BitTorrent and downloaded the DVD via HTTP and got it in
about 3 or 4 hours.  I haven't checked it yet but it seems complete.
10.3looks like a vast improvement over
10.2.

On 10/6/07, Carl Olsen <carl-olsen at mchsi.com> wrote:

> I just did the update from Open SUSE 10.1 to Open SUSE 10.2, which is the
> first time I've ever tried to update an existing installation (I've always
> reformatted and done a fresh install before).  During the test of the
> network card, it failed to establish an internet connection.  After the
> update was done, I opened Firefox and it connected to the Internet.  I'm
> not
> sure what was going on, but it appears the update went smoothly.
>
> I know nothing about Linux.  I chose SUSE strictly because it was closely
> associated with the Mono Project and C# and that is my programming
> language
> of choice.  Of course, I also love the fact that it supports all my
> favorite
> toys, PHP, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Apache.  I like it even better now that
> know I don't have to do a fresh install every time I move to the next
> version.
>
> I tried downloading Open SUSE 10.3 today and all I got was a 109MB file
> which can't possibly be the entire thing.  It said it was a 4.1GB file on
> the link I clicked.  Does anyone know why this seems to be broken?
>
> Carl Olsen
> Des Moines, IA

Jim Asbille, MSM
registered Linux user number 388067

It is better to travel well than to arrive.
Gautama Buddha