[Cialug] RE: OS X Airport setup ? (OT) Sorry

Bill Davis bill.davis at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 23:40:41 CDT 2007

On Oct 5, 2007, at 4:31 PM, "albus" <albus at iowaconnect.com> wrote:

> I was looking for a simple how-to setup for OS X.x
> to get the wireless up and running.

Then you have what you should need in my email, or in that specific
link to the "popular how-tow" on the Apple web site. Let me know if
you need further help though.

> To send to the outlaw

"outlaw" ?

> so he can print it and just give a copy to the Mac users that
> haven't a clue on wireless setup.

They will need to know the basestation name to pick (don't assume
yours is the only one that will show up, or that it will even show up
at all if broadcasting of the name has Bern turned off) and the WEP or
WPA key and length to provide when asked (and if its WEP or WPA etc)

> Stupid Question. If it's not called Airport why do they have Airport
> in the menu bar for it?

It's all WiFi, but the card in all Macs is almost always an AirPort
brand card (unless the custom configured it at the Apple store and
left it out then added a third-party PCcard or PCI card or USB WiFi
later. Very few do this.) So that's why I guess; saves confusion
amongst the customers. Makes the marketing and branding guys happy, etc.

> What do they call it? Maybe that's why I'm not finding
> a simple how-to.

Where are you looking? I found the above info on Apple's support site
in a few seconds....

> <rant>
> I don't know why it is, but it seems like the more people
> I find that have a Mac don't have a clue how to do much
> with them but surf and email. And maybe art work.
> </rant>

That's because that's generally all most folks DO with their computers
(you left out Word, Excel and Powerpoint though). Macs just generally
self-configure out of the box and self-heal if problems crop up later
so a lot of folks who don't like futzing with computers buy 'em for
that reason....and a lot of computer- savvy folks recommend them to
their relatives so the don't end up spending hours fixing the thing
every time they go visit their relatives or end up being the family's
own private on call unpaid support staff.

> It's not that hard at least for me to get it working on the ones
> I've dealt with and I DON'T have a clue with Mac OS anything.

But you're a computer geek. Macs are not designed for computer geeks.
They are designed for everyone else. I've usually found that's what
causes computer geeks to get lost on Macs. They expect it to be harder
than it is.  I get bit by that myself sometimes and I've used Macs
since '84....all the OTHER OSes and computers I also use (I got
started programming in 1976) throw me off because they are generally
much more poorly designed.