[Cialug] M4P files

Bryan Baker ka_klick at mac.com
Wed Oct 3 14:05:29 CDT 2007

You'll probably be best off opening them in iTunes on Win or a Mac
and then burning to a CD and then re-ripping them in MP3. If they are
the .m4p's they are drm coated (melts in your iPod, not in your
Zune). The new, higher priced, higher quality, and most importantly:
drm free iTunes AACs should be playable directly, or easily converted
by anything that plays AAC. There have been various other apps that
did the stripping, but I've never looked into doing it that way and
it's the typical arms race problem.

Hopefully other labels will finally admit that DRM is a joke and drop
it on all download sales, as EMI did w/ Apple and now Amazon, and
Universal did when moving to Amazon. I heard even Warner is starting
to melt on the issue, and they seemed to feel about DRM what your
fringe NRA segment feels about their guns (cold dead corpse language
and all that).