[Cialug] Buying a new pc

Theron Conrey theron.conrey at dice.com
Mon Oct 1 05:55:30 CDT 2007

If I was in the market today for a new Desktop PC, wanted Linux as a main OS, and also wanted windows installed, I prob. Shell the coin and get a Dell Ubuntu preinstall.

1) all the crazy drivers work.
2) supporting the perception of Linux as $$ worthy.
3) all done, easy as pie.
4) If you get NVIDIA this way, Ubuntu does a good job of making it easy to allow users to install proprietary drivers, including NVIDIA.
5) get a new dual core "VT" enabled chipset, install Qemu, and the kernel modules, and use a preexisting license that you've already paid for to install Windows in a virtual environment.  If there are hardware issues that don't work this way, install VMware Workstation 6 for Linux and load Windows that way.  If there are crazy hardware issues that just refuse to play nicely, use your existing license, just repartition the drive to install it there.  If you were really worried, get a different HD to install it on.  With the few $ you'll save buying this desktop (it won't be much, but cost isn't the point is it?) buy a separate hard drive to install windows on.

Just my 10c.  Although if you're looking at desktops from Tiger Direct, remember, that valid warranty on a shiny dell Linux desktop may come in handy someday.  I've stopped building computers I can buy, excluding some EPIA VIA custom jobs etc for myth front ends, but I realize that building them is part of the fun.

-Theron