[Cialug] internal DNS

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Nov 29 09:35:54 CST 2007

I have this small network (~20 hosts) and doing name resolution is getting
to be a pain. I have a DNS server but I use it for external requests and
whenever I try using the "view" feature of bind to answer differently for
requests coming from the private side it stops working.

I personally don't like messing with DNS. I would be far happier if there
were some system of synchronizing /etc/hosts files. I could write a python
script that does this in half the time I spent last night.

However, I have two fears: The python script needs to run as root or I need
to modify permissions on the hosts file (I'd be inclined to modify
permissions) *and* I didn't realize how far-reaching the implications of a
fubar'd /etc/hosts file was until Nathan mailed us yesterday. I don't have
physical access to these servers so rebooting in single user mode is not
available to me (though if I modify permissions on the file then maybe it
won't be as bad either).

Anyone have any thoughts (including a different solution entirely)? My
configuration is Ubuntu 6.06 server and I'm using bind9 for the primary DNS
and powerdns for secondary (configured to use the bind style backend
storage).

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode