[Cialug] Dokuwiki

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 23:24:00 CST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 10:38 PM, Thorgrim <thorgrim at mindspring.com> wrote:
> The other issue I have with Mediawiki is that it uses a database
> backend.  Backing up text file is easy.  The database would require
> more work than I have time for at the moment.

I beg to differ on the ease of backup.  It really is no different.
Set up a cron script with something like the following:

  mysqldump -u {dbuser} -p{dbpass} {dbname} > {path to backup
location}/{backup filename}

Throw a gzip pipe in the middle if you need the backups compressed.
Heck, you could probably slightly modify the script you use now and
just replace the tar/gzip or rsync part of it with the mysqldump
command.

I will also argue that setting up MySQL isn't too difficult in most
modern distros.  If you aren't too concerned about security, you can
even use phpMyAdmin or another web front end to MySQL to greatly
reduce the administration overhead.  I have found that maintaining the
wiki itself is much, much more work than maintaining the database
which runs behind it.

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night