[Cialug] Locking your keys in the car

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Nov 28 20:18:20 CST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 4:30 PM, Nathan Stien <nathanism at gmail.com> wrote:

> The machine has mysteriously lost the ability to resolve its own
> hostname.  This is a problem because sudo for whatever reason needs to
> resolve the hostname in order to let me do anything.  This machine has
> an ubuntu-style setup with respect to sudo -- the root account is
> locked.  I can't just "su root".
>
> OK, I says to myself, I'll just add the hostname to /etc/hosts and
> move on with life.
>
> nathan at lildeb:~$ sudo vi /etc/hosts
> sudo: unable to resolve host lildeb
>
> Ohhhhh, yeeeaaahhh.  D'oh.

I'd have done it the same way you did. Did you figure out what the problem
was? Did you delete the 127... line from /etc/hosts or mess up
/etc/nsswitch.conf?

If I were in a position where rebooting was absolute last resort, I'd
probably try and figure out how name resolution was being done and then find
some way to make it work the way sudo wanted.

Maybe I'd try and unplug the ethernet cable to see if that affects anything.
Too bad the system's fixed now. :-)
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode