[Cialug] Shameless Self Promotion

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Wed Nov 28 17:26:45 CST 2007

By the way, if you like security stuff (like what I just posted) I want
to remind you that I have a fun security class starting in January.
Basically, if I get enough people (~4) I get to teach it, and we all get
to learn about:

    * Access Control Systems and Methodology
    * Telecommunications and Network Security
    * Business Continuity Planning and Disaster Recovery Planning
    * Security Management Practices
    * Security Architecture and Models
    * Law, Investigation, and Ethics
    * Application and Systems Development Security
    * Cryptography
    * Computer Operations Security
    * Physical Security

If folks are interested, I can do it with a Linux focus and we can get
into the nitty gritty of what I just posted.

If you have any questions, feel free to bug me on the list or off it.

For those who may need boss approval, here is the marketing speak:

Like many of you, I have been frustrated at having to take trips to
larger cities to improve my professional skills, so I'm trying to change
that.  Having worked in Information Security for the past several years,
SANS (a world leader in security training), has asked me to teach a
mentor-based class at the beginning of next year.  I would appreciate if
you could forward this email to anybody that may be interested in
attending.

The SANS Mentor Program is a self-study learning experience.  You would
work independently and at your own pace, and would read the course books
prior to attending the Mentor-led sessions.   I will offer my advice and
experience to help explain any tricky points as well as discuss
real-world solutions and practicalities to help solve specific security
problems.

At the conclusion of this course, you would be ready to take either the
Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) or the GIAC
Information Security Professional (GISP) exams.  For a value comparison,
you may wish to check out:
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Certification=Certified_Information_Systems_Security_Professional_(CISSP)/Salary

A little about me.  I am currently employed as a Security Consultant
and work "in the trenches" as well as with the management of various
companies on various aspects of computer security.  I have worked on
books for O'Reilly Publishing as well as Pearson Education, reviewing
them for technical accuracy as well as appropriate security advice.  I
also stay active in the local security, virtualization, and Linux
communities.  I feel this training would be excellent for anyone who is
responsible for security in a small, medium, or large sized business.
It is also useful for those of you who wish to take a step up,
career-wise, and integrate your various technical skills into security
frameworks.

Our class will be meeting at the following time and location:

Thursday nights from 6pm to 8pm starting January 3rd
Alliance Technologies
400 Locust St, Suite 840
Room 8C
Des Moines, IA 50309
515-245-7701

For the course location, a complete course description, course fee and
registration instructions, visit
http://www.sans.org/mentor/details.php?nid=6981 .  So that I can
track things appropriately and you can get a 10% discount, please use
the code 'SecOrg' when you register.

If you have any questions about the training, the certifications, or
related concerns, please feel free to contact me at
morej at alliancetechnologies.net or by phone at 515-245-7701.

Thank you,

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net