[Cialug] KVM switches: recommendations?

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Tue Nov 20 11:12:57 CST 2007

Todd Walton wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2007 8:22 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:
>
>> I don't recommend using a KVM on a desktop machine where you look at the
>> monitor for extended periods though; every KVM i've seen adds a slight
>> fuzziness to the VGA signal. Maybe less sensitive people wouldn't be
>> bothered by it, but it gives me a headache after a couple hours.
>>

> Ah!  Maybe that's it.  I thought it was this LCD flat panel, but the
> KVM thing makes sense.

One exception I've seen to the blurry thing - the old Belkin Omnicube
KVM. We have a couple of those at work, and the DSMGG has one. They
don't seen to induce any blurriness. I'd recommend them.. but they're
ps/2 only (no usb) and they probably don't make them any more.

Strangely, the more expensive Belkin KVM's I've seen are really blurry,
but the cheaper Omnicube models aren't.

-dc