[Cialug] OT: Not that you needed another reason to hate maxtor

Brandon Griffis brandongriffis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 17:55:39 CST 2007

This is something to be aware of and careful with too.  Many external HD and
even flash drives now not only come preformatted but with an autorun file
that will automatically install (something) onto windows just for plugging
in the drive.  We're often told it's just a little utility to make the drive
show up with a WD or Segate or Maxtor or... icon.  But I wouldn't doubt that
various spy/virus stuff has been thrown in as well.

If you have autorun enabled, you might be infected just for plugging the
drive in, even if you format it 2 seconds later.  Better to just turn it off
and have to double click the drive... or not run Windows.

-B