[Cialug] KVM switches: recommendations?

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Mon Nov 19 08:22:54 CST 2007

On Sunday 18 November 2007 17:26, Tom Poe wrote:
>I need to invest in KVM switch.  Any recommendations?  Options?
>Tom

I've had an Aten switch at home for several years to flip between my
servers. It has always worked quite well. I can switch terminals either
by hitting a button on the front of the unit or with a key combination.
I like the key combo on the Aten switches: hit Ctrl-Shift-Alt and
release them, then type the number of the terminal you want and hit
enter. If you daisy-chain the switches just type extra numbers for each
switch further down the chain. The only program i know of that
conflicts with Ctrl-Shift-Alt was an *old* DOS screensaver (anyone else
remember the acronym "TSR"?) called explosiv.com; it used that
combination to activate before the timeout. Since i don't use DOS nor
that old screensaver anymore, the key combination has never been a
problem.

I don't recommend using a KVM on a desktop machine where you look at the
monitor for extended periods though; every KVM i've seen adds a slight
fuzziness to the VGA signal. Maybe less sensitive people wouldn't be
bothered by it, but it gives me a headache after a couple hours.

Why do i need so many servers at home as to require a KVM switch? I'm
beginning to wonder that myself... originally it was to teach myself
about networking and setting up various types of servers but these days
it seems like overkill since i get my fill of system administration at
work.