[Cialug] OT: Not that you needed another reason to hate maxtor

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 07:12:37 CST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 10:21 PM, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:

> Update: Maxtor drives contain password-stealing Trojans

1) Why would I hate Maxtor?  Not buy from them for a while, sure.  But
it's not like Maxtor did it themselves.

2) I'm having trouble understanding how a virus could be planted on a
hard drive, pre-OS.  I know that the drives usually have a small
hidden partition, so I assume it'd be there.  And what would it do,
run on startup and copy binary information to free space on the main
portion of the drive?  Does it assume Windows?  Can it detect free
space and non free space?  Is hard drive electronics that smart?

-todd