[Cialug]ssh for cell phones

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 01:56:08 CST 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 1:02 PM, Josh More <morej at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
> pssh sets $TERM to "xterm"
>
> tuSSH sets $TERM to "vt100"
>
> I have used vi on both without significant issues.  However, I cannot
> imagine trying to use them on a palm that did not come with a keyboard.

I will second everything Josh has noted.  I wouldn't want to write a
script during a mobile ssh session, but it is definitely nice to have
the option if you find yourself in a bit of a pinch.  I distinctly
remember Josh borrowing my Treo late one afternoon outside the doors
of Taki to perform a quick fix.  I believe I'm responsible for saving
his supper on that occasion.

I use TuSSH mostly, but I have both it and pssh installed.
Control-modified characters and Tab have to be entered via a menu, so
a Tab can take as many as 7 keystrokes (first time, worst case) and as
few as two (subsequent sequential instances).  Control-modified
characters take 6 keystrokes the first time, worst case.

Beware running a curses/ncurses app under these -- results can be
goofy at times.  Screen real estate is precious.  TuSSH uses extremely
small fonts.  Even the "Normal" font (the other two choices are Small
and Tiny) challenges my excellent vision.  As I get older, that will
become an issue. . .

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night