[Cialug] OT: Any good reason not to kill land phone line?

Claus Niesen cniesen at gmx.net
Fri Nov 16 09:32:40 CST 2007

> > The two reasons that I don't drop my land line are:
> > 1) Having a phone available for the babysitter in case of emergency.
>
> I'm betting your babysitter has a more advanced cell phone than you :-)

Since Afan mentiones that he has kids, not sure what age though, the baby sitter is a thing to keep in mind.  Baby sitters may or may not have a phone and they might have the coolest phone on earth but use a crappy plan.  Our US Cellular phone works fine in our house, even from the basement but our pre-pay T-Mobil doesn't even get a connection.  That's in the city limit of Ames even.  Also 911 has a harder time locating your house if the call is from a cell phone.  So you might consider keeping a landline for the same reason you keep a fire extinguisher.  You have one, don't you?

  Claus