[Cialug] OT: Any good reason not to kill land phone line?

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Fri Nov 16 09:27:33 CST 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 16:14 +0100, Claus Niesen wrote:
> - Backup phone for when cell towers are overloaded.

Generally when/if  cell towers are overloaded, so are landlines.

> - Babysitters/kids - might be easier for them to use.  Also doesn't run out of batteries.

If your typical baby sitter is a pre-teen, they already have a cell, or
get an extra "free" phone with your package, limit its calling and use
it for babysitters, etc.
> - Don't have people bother you when you are driving/in meetings, etc.  Personally I don't like to give out my cell phone number much.  Only very privileged people should be able to bother me at any place and any time.  Yes I'm already bothered when I have to screen calls.

I give out my cell, but I screen calls... basically if your not in *my*
contacts, I'll answer the call when its convenient for me. Just because
you call me, doesn't mean I need to answer. Secondly, I never answer
calls that show as "unknown" or "private"...I mean, you're calling me,
but you don't want me to know who you are? What's up with that? So, I
just skip those calls, as well most calls originating from an 800
number.

Dell is really bad about giving your number to telemarketers. Even if
your on the do not call list, they'll call you claiming a "prior
relationship" blah,blah,blah... Generally when this happens, I harass
them by asking them questions until they hang up. Sometimes I actually
enjoy it.

> - Land lines are cheaper than cell phone.  Get unhooked, unwired, and enjoy life.

Can't argue that.

> - Continue feeding baby bell or they'll die.

Maybe its time for a new abusive relationship.

> - Better/more reliable 911 location
Can't argue that.