[Cialug] OT: Any good reason not to kill land phone line?

Bill Davis bill.davis at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 08:28:21 CST 2007

Also some satellite system require a phone line for pay-per-view movies (to
report you purchased them), some other monitoring devices like water
meters.

You may also need to dial in to a computer at work (I did until they set up
VPN a couple years ago).

My old Apple AirPort basestation that had a modem supported me dialing INTO
my home network via PPP (as well as connecting to a dialup ISP of course.)
They dropped the modem in more recent versions.

It's also good to have a backup.  I've got Qwest set to use their long
distance at 99cents per month plus whatever time I use (as opposed to AT&T
long distance which was $10 a month or something...I forget how much) so for
about $25 month I've got a backup phone line and visitors or guests have a
phone they can use without borrowing my cell phone.