[Cialug] Job Opening - Google

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Wed Nov 14 08:52:02 CST 2007

kristau wrote:
|| Mountain View office.
|
| A word of caution: the cost of living increase between Des Moines,
| IA and Mountain View, CA means that an offer of double your current
| salary there == your current salary here.  Ouch.

Hmm. When I was last in that area (2001), a "cheap" one-BR apartment
on a 12-month lease cost me $2020/mo. Supermarket food was expensive
and, remarkably, produce quality was sub-marginal. I doubt if the area
has become less expensive since.

I still have the full-page photo from the Mercury of a small bungalow
with the caption: "You always wanted a million-dollar estate, you just
thought it'd be bigger than 750 sq ft."

Ah yes, along with the high cost of living, PG&E operated a kind of
lottery called "rolling blackouts". I don't think I'll ever forget the
chaos in the lab when the power failed while we were doing the first
tests on a new generation of chips...

OTOH, there were a reasonable number of good restaurants - and the
original Fry's store carried about everything geekish one could
possibly want. :)

Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA