[Cialug] cd hand off - maybe lunch sometime this week?

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Mon Nov 12 21:55:36 CST 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 9:34 PM, Eric Junker <eric at eric.nu> wrote:

> Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but why are so many
> people excited to get Ubuntu CDs when it is quicker to just download the
> ISO and burn a copy? I would encourage those that get CDs to pass them
> along to their non-Linux using friends as a way to help spread the word
> about Linux.

For me, it's worth it to get the DVD or CD to greatly reduce the risk of
errors.  A pressed disc is less likely to cause issues than burned discs.
I've encountered several install errors because I download and burn on one
drive, and install on others.  This is maddening when you deal with multiple
disc installs and have an error on disc 4 of 5.

While that's not the case for Ubuntu, I would still prefer to have an
original disc to add to my collection.

Besides, my laptop isn't arriving until Wednesday, and it *is* a Christmas
present, so I *should* keep my hands off of it for another 5 weeks or so.
:grin:

> Eric
>
> Tim Wilson wrote:
> > Can someone pick up a disk for me too?  I just discovered in Ubuntu
> > forums that Gutsy Gibbon works great on my new laptop.
> >
> > On Nov 12, 2007 8:36 PM, kristau < kristau at gmail.com
> > <mailto:kristau at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Nov 12, 2007 4:11 PM, Matthew Nuzum < newz at bearfruit.org
> >     <mailto:newz at bearfruit.org>> wrote:
> >      >
> >      > Sounds fine. Where is that?
> >
> >     According to Google, it is here:
> >
> >     http://tinyurl.com/3xpxm7 <http://tinyurl.com/3xpxm7>
> >
> >     Sadly, I will be unable to join, but I hope someone will pick up an
> >     Ubuntu CD for me ;)
> >
> >     --
> >     Tired programmer
> >     Coding late into the night