[Cialug] wish list for ssh/gnome terminal

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 15:59:05 CDT 2007

On Nov 2, 2007 1:31 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> This has been on my mind for about a year now, thought I'd voice it
> somewhere before I forget it. Maybe it already exists...
>
> I don't miss Putty from Windows, but it did have a couple nice
> features. The two that I really miss are:
>
>  * Saved sessions (which is mostly reproducible with .ssh/config), and
>  * Changing window colors per-session

Nathan the KDE Partisan Says:

In KDE's Konsole, you can create sessions that include the command to
run (e.g., "ssh -option -option2 hostname") and set up all the fonts
and colors and such.  They have a little "start session" icon thingy
on the tab bar which lets you pick what session you want.  That sounds
like what you had in putty.  KDE even has a panel applet that gives
you a pop-up terminal session launcher.  I used to have a bunch of
sessions with different color schemes that were just ssh sessions to
various hosts.  White on red for my Big Important Server, etc.

But then of course you end up loading a bunch of KDE libraries just to
launch a console session, which would be a bit wasteful.  So I guess
you have to switch to Kubuntu. ;-)  I'll just be over here, holding my
breath.
</proselytism>

Anyways, these days I just color-code my bash prompt on each machine
in the .bashrc, and then it kicks in even if I connect somewhere else
mid-session, or if I connect from somewhere else.  Low tech, but it
works for me.

In fact, here's a little page about it:
http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/May2004/article335.shtml

- Nathan