OT: [Cialug] Mandriva - open letter to Steve Ballmer

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Nov 2 12:35:11 CDT 2007

On 11/2/07, kristau <kristau at gmail.com> wrote:
> Back on topic, I'll venture a guess at what happened to Mandriva in
> Nigeria.  Microsoft lost fair and square to Mandriva.  Being sore
> losers, they offered the Nigerian government an offer they couldn't
> refuse:  To pay for the Mandriva obligation and replace it with
> Microsoft products for free.  Ethical?  By our standards, no.  We are
> talking about the Nigerian government and Microsft here, though...

Yes, I agree. It costs a lot more for microsoft to loose this deal
than the cost of the licenses. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for
the politically charged and future-of-young-minds-shaping landscape of
low-cost computers to children in developing nations. Especially on
the classmate pc, which is the windows-friendly competitor to the
linux-only olpc.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode