[Cialug] Mandriva - open letter to Steve Ballmer

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 11:03:47 CDT 2007

On 11/2/07, Morris Dovey <mrdovey at iedu.com> wrote:
> Right - but a particular ethic is specific to a specific culture.

Fine, fine.  Whatever.  Then what do you call the thing that makes
slavery wrong, even in 1700s American South?  Or murder wrong even in
1200s Central Mexico?  Where does social "progress" come from at all?
What powers activists to lobby for suffrage or gay rights?  What makes
one thing right and another not, if "culture" is the ultimate
standard?  What makes the Nigerian government wrong to take bribes if
taking bribes is part of their culture?

Saying the culture you find yourself in is the standard of moral
conduct seems to me just as wrong as saying I make up the standard I
feel like.

-todd